Tuesday 11 September 2012

My Summer Travels - A visit to Paris!

Paris, Amsterdam, Rome, Barcelona.....














Travelling is one of my biggest ambitions in life and this summer, the incredibly beautiful city of Paris was my first stop whilst inter-railing around Europe. I had not even thought about this element of the fashion capital but whilst wandering around the Montmarte District, home to the famous Sacre Coeur, we came across a strip of the most exciting fabric shops I have ever seen. This area of the city is made up of authentic narrow streets and the traditional tall thin buildings with shuttered windows that also house the textile markets. They have the vastest selections of materials such as fabric, beads, threads, ribbons, zips, buttons, the list is endless. I have never ever seen so many buttons in one place at one time, so much so that the walls looked like they had been decorated with a mosaic pattern.  I was able to photograph inside some of the shops and in others, understandably photography was banned.  The Reine was one of the biggest shops in particular that had an extensive selection of the popular Liberty London fabric. Every shop was a crafts makers heaven. The amount of time and money that I could have spent in these places would have be ridiculous!


























No comments:

Post a Comment