Sunday 19 February 2012

Dye and Fibre Workshop

I was really excited about the Dye and Fibre Workshop as although I really enjoyed working with a monochrome colour pallet within my embroidery, I was surprised at myself for this choice as colour has always been something that I find inspiring and important. I felt that because I struggled with my colour choices in the machine embroidery workshop, this new workshop was the perfect opportunity to explore this element properly and effectively. 

                       
                           



I narrowed down a colour pallet continuing on from development in my sketchbook.




The burn tests allows you to identify the fibre of the material. Synthetic fabrics do not work as well as natural fibres with particular dyes.

There are different sorts of marks that can be made through how you manipulate the fabric your working with. I explored some of these techniques with dip dying in direct dyes.









The materials I used were mainly silks but also some cottons.







Dyeing Yarn with direct dyes using a more controlled technique of exhaust dyeing.





Although this was my first time trying to achieve a particular colour, you can identify the difference. I was hoping to get a more sky blue colour in the yarn as opposed to turquoise blue cotton sample which I feel you can see in the photo above.


After researching more into Shibori and the techniques available I saw that a lot of the marks made on the material through tecnhiques such as folding, pinching, gathering, stitching etc, had an apparent resemblance to some of my linear lace drawings.





















No comments:

Post a Comment