Thursday 27 January 2011

Applying for Textiles in Practice

Being given the chance to study Textiles in Practice at Manchester Metropolitan University would be a massive privilege. For a long time I have had a longing to pursue a career path that would allow me to develop into Interior styling embracing the combination of wall papers, fabrics and textural comforts that give personality to the places we live in. Especially through the second year of my BTEC Art and Design course I have been able to have more of a personal direction in my work. I enjoy working within the realms of textiles, using embroidery and fabric manipulation to create embellishment and texture, skills that I can build upon at degree level and accompany with so many more. I want to be a successful designer creating designs that can be experienced by everyone, everyday, using it, feeling it and living it. I am engrossed in my work and take a consistent, confident and enthusiastic approach to a passion that I want to develop into a career.   The Art and Design department at MMU has an inspiring art based environment that is translated through the impressive portfolios created by past and current students. The examples of work are exciting and individual giving me a desire to be involved. There is encouragement within the course to develop and uncover your own personal style specializing in one of many pathways available. I am eager to learn about different ways to manipulate fabric through various textures, colours, patterns and prints seeing how they work in usable spaces. With excellent facilities, there is the opportunity to learn new skills and techniques within textiles alongside building skills to work in industry. Strong business links provide the possibility of quality work placements and future employment and I am looking forward to the independence that comes with working at degree level.  The tutors seem supportive and extremely enthusiastic which is reflected in all areas of the programme. Manchester Metropolitan University has been recommended to me by tutors and other students and would be a fantastic place to take my passion to the next level.

No comments:

Post a Comment